Help Line: 833-PLG-HELP   |   Nassau: 516-873-8783   |   Suffolk: 631-673-1000

Corona Virus Alert: Are you in need of legal advice, but are in fear of contracting the corona virus? Please contact our office and schedule your virtual consultation.

Anuncio del Virus Corona: Necesita hablar con un abogado, pero tiene miedo de contratar el virus corona? Por favor contacte a Palacios Law Group para reservar una consulta virtual.

PLG Is More Than A Name
PLG is not just the name of our firm, but also an indicator of our commitment to Professional Legal Guidance. We offer this professionalism and integrity to every client we meet.

U.S. Citizenship Through Marriage

| Nov 23, 2016 | Uncategorized

More and more people are falling in love with someone else who lives on the other side of the world. This is because of a range of different reasons, such as the internet connecting people, vacations planned to different countries, to visiting a place temporarily for work or school. When a couple falls in love, especially with someone who lives so far, the question of marriage will come into play. Many people are willing to uproot their lives, and move to a completely foreign place just to be with the one they love. It isn’t that simple though. In order to permanently live in a different country, you are going to need to become a citizen. It will take time, and isn’t always guaranteed.
Naturalization is the process in which a non-citizen becomes a citizen of a particular country. You can attain citizenship through marriage, which is a step that couples usually take in the process of attaining citizenship. Usually before the couple gets married, they are a green card holder prior. After they hold a green card, they then apply for citizenship. In the United States, citizenship is granted by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
To be able to legally enter the U.S. and eventually gain citizenship, you must be married to a U.S. citizen. Your spouse should complete and submit all paperwork. The files this includes is the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and all required documentation. You should also make sure that all fees applied are paid.

Once you arrive to the U.S. you should file Form I-485. This form will allow you to apply for permanent residency or adjust your status as an immigrant. To find out more about the Adjustment of Status, check out our previous blog post.
You and your spouse will be called in for an interview by the USCIS. If that interview goes well, you will most likely be granted permanent residency.
Now you may be wondering when you can finally apply for U.S. citizenship. You must be a green card holder for at least 3 years as well as have been living in a marital union with your spouse. You also must file your citizenship Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, along with requested documentation.
The process time is difficult to determine. It may take a while, so all you can do is be patient, and make sure you fill out all necessary paperwork as well as pay all fees. To determine processing time, check out the USCIS website.The USCIS has all the authority when it comes to the final decision. For help and further explanation, feel free to consult with Palacios Law Group.

Source: Legal Zoom


FindLaw Network