Help Line: 833-PLG-HELP
Help Line: 833-PLG-HELP
Nassau: 516-873-8783
Suffolk: 631-673-1000
Palacios Law Group
View Our Practice Areas

Obtaining A Work Visa

ObtainingAWorkVisa.jpgPeople need to travel for work for a variety of reasons. Employers in the U.S. will hire foreign workers for specialty jobs that require a specific set of skills. Usually these workers will obtain a visa for temporary stay in the Unites States. In order for someone of a different country to be able to work in the United States, they must receive a visa. There are many different work visas, so the way to obtain one all depends on which type of work and application you are applying for.
The most common work visa is the H1B work visa. This visa allows you to also apply for a green card. If you want to be a permanent resident, you must apply before your work visa expires. If you do not apply then you will have to live in your country for at least a year before you can reapply for another work visa. 

The jobs that most often need employees from another country are in the field of architecture, business, computer science, education, engineering, law, mathematics, medicine and healthcare, and more.
The employer must fill out an application to the Department of Labor, then submit a petition for a non immigrant worker, or Form I-129 to the USCIS. 85,000 H1B work visas are issued each year. It is extremely difficult to get one. They are often looking for people with a master's degree or higher. This visa lasts up to 6 years.
The B1 visa is another visa that allows travelers to the U.S. to engage in business activities. Travelers apply at the U.S. embassy. These visas are only valid for 6 months, and can be renewed after that.
An L1 visa is meant to transfer managers, executive, and foreign employees with specialized skills.
An E1 is means for those involved in international trade. E2 visas are meant for an individual traveling to the U.S. to invest in a large amount of capital in a United States business from a country the United States maintains a trade treaty with.
J-1 visas are fore individuals participating in work or a study related program.
These are the most common visas that people apply for. There are specific qualifications for each of these visas. It is important to make sure that you totally qualify when applying. To find out more about work visa, check out Legal Zoom or Travel.State.Gov.
Sources: Legal Zoom

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

We Are A Multidisciplinary Firm Serving New York

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy