Help Line: 833-PLG-HELP   |   Nassau: 516-873-8783   |   Suffolk: 631-673-1000

Corona Virus Alert: Are you in need of legal advice, but are in fear of contracting the corona virus? Please contact our office and schedule your virtual consultation.

Anuncio del Virus Corona: Necesita hablar con un abogado, pero tiene miedo de contratar el virus corona? Por favor contacte a Palacios Law Group para reservar una consulta virtual.

PLG Is More Than A Name
PLG is not just the name of our firm, but also an indicator of our commitment to Professional Legal Guidance. We offer this professionalism and integrity to every client we meet.

Obtaining A Work Visa

| Dec 2, 2016 | Uncategorized


People need to travel for work for a variety of reasons. Employers in the U.S. will hire foreign workers for specialty jobs that require a specific set of skills. Usually these workers will obtain a visa for temporary stay in the Unites States. In order for someone of a different country to be able to work in the United States, they must receive a visa. There are many different work visas, so the way to obtain one all depends on which type of work and application you are applying for.
The most common work visa is the H1B work visa. This visa allows you to also apply for a green card. If you want to be a permanent resident, you must apply before your work visa expires. If you do not apply then you will have to live in your country for at least a year before you can reapply for another work visa. 

The jobs that most often need employees from another country are in the field of architecture, business, computer science, education, engineering, law, mathematics, medicine and healthcare, and more.
The employer must fill out an application to the Department of Labor, then submit a petition for a non immigrant worker, or Form I-129 to the USCIS. 85,000 H1B work visas are issued each year. It is extremely difficult to get one. They are often looking for people with a master’s degree or higher. This visa lasts up to 6 years.
The B1 visa is another visa that allows travelers to the U.S. to engage in business activities. Travelers apply at the U.S. embassy. These visas are only valid for 6 months, and can be renewed after that.
An L1 visa is meant to transfer managers, executive, and foreign employees with specialized skills.
An E1 is means for those involved in international trade. E2 visas are meant for an individual traveling to the U.S. to invest in a large amount of capital in a United States business from a country the United States maintains a trade treaty with.
J-1 visas are fore individuals participating in work or a study related program.
These are the most common visas that people apply for. There are specific qualifications for each of these visas. It is important to make sure that you totally qualify when applying. To find out more about work visa, check out Legal Zoom or Travel.State.Gov.
Sources: Legal Zoom


FindLaw Network