Help Line: 833-PLG-HELP   |   Nassau: 516-873-8783   |   Suffolk: 631-673-1000

Corona Virus Alert: Are you in need of legal advice, but are in fear of contracting the corona virus? Please contact our office and schedule your virtual consultation.

Anuncio del Virus Corona: Necesita hablar con un abogado, pero tiene miedo de contratar el virus corona? Por favor contacte a Palacios Law Group para reservar una consulta virtual.

PLG Is More Than A Name
PLG is not just the name of our firm, but also an indicator of our commitment to Professional Legal Guidance. We offer this professionalism and integrity to every client we meet.

Car Accidents & Personal Injury

| Jan 19, 2017 | Uncategorized


People get into motor vehicle accidents all of the time. These can be so damaging that not only does your car get wrecked, but as a result you experience personal injury. In a situation like this, you are going to want to get compensation for the damage and medical bills. If your insurance company denies coverage, you will need to file a lawsuit on the other person involved in the accident. If you are in a law suit like this, you are going to want to prove that the accident was the cause of the other person involved. It is recommended that you hire a personal injury lawyer in a situation like this.
In court, you are going to have to prove that the other driver was careless, and because of this careless behavior, it caused the accident. If you were also careless in the situation, and it was not just the other driver’s fault, then your damages may be reduced. In the state of New York, there has been established no- fault laws. This system requires all drivers to have no fault accident insurance. This claim will be presented to your insurance company. Your insurance company will pay for your injuries no matter whose fault the accident was. With a no-fault claim , depending on what state you live in, you may still be able to file a lawsuit against the other party involved in the accident. Usually someone might do this if they are facing extreme and serious injuries.
No matter what, if you are involved in a car accident, you are going to want to follow certain steps. You definitely want to make sure that the first thing you do is call 911 to report the accident. Request medical assistance as well if needed. Only help someone who is need of medical assistance if it is a life or death situation. Otherwise, you want to wait for medical assistance to arrive. 

You also will want to put your emergency lights on so you can alert other cars around you on the road that there has been an accident. Exchange any required information with the other party involved, but you will want to make sure you avoid making any statements in regards to the accident.
Take photographs of your vehicle, and make sure to take any photos of damage, skid marks, or anything else that will help your potential case. When the police arrive, let them help you. You will definitely want to make sure you get any officer’s name.
Drawing a diagram to help show other people what scenario had caused the accident will help. Also check traffic cameras, and make sure you obtain all the necessary information needed that can potentially help your case.
If the police stop by the scene, there will be a police report. You definitely want to make sure that you receive a copy of that. Ask the officer how and when you will. Contacting law enforcement will help. If there is no injury, sometimes police officers do not go to the accident. If this is the case, then you will want to report the accident to the nearest police station. You may have to wait for further police investigation.
Once you obtain the police report, you are going to want to present this to your insurance company.
In event of a rear end collision, it will always be the person who was behind’s fault. They are supposed to be at a safe distance at all times. Even if the driver in front had to slam on their brakes, the driver behind should have had enough time to respond accordingly.
In the case of a left-turn collision, the driver making the turn has to yield for on coming traffic. If they hit into a vehicle that had the right of way, it is their fault.
If you have a court case with another driver about your accident and personal injury, it is advised to get a personal injury lawyer. A lawyer has the experience and knowledge necessary in order to help your case. They will help you gather the information you need in order to prove that the other person involved was at fault.
Sources: Legal Zoom 


FindLaw Network