Mon - Fri 09:00-17:00 | Sat 9:00-14:00
FREE Consultation

Does the US recognize marriages performed abroad?

On Behalf of Palacios Law Group

If you are a U.S. citizen engaged to a foreign citizen and you want to tie the knot in another country, or you recently married a foreign citizen outside of the U.S., it is important to review immigration matters if you want them to live with you in the United States. For example, you may have uncertainty regarding the validity of marriages performed overseas, as well as questions related to the immigration process.

You need to keep in mind that these cases vary from one couple to the next and there are different factors that can affect your immigration case.

Are marriages performed overseas valid in the U.S.?

According to the U.S. Department of State, you have to reach out to the Attorney General’s office in your state if you want to inquire about the validity of a marriage performed overseas. Note that the laws and requirements associated with getting married abroad differ depending on the country. Moreover, many couples are able to get married in the U.S. by obtaining a fiance(e) visa, even if one party is not a U.S. citizen.

Can a foreign spouse live in the U.S. after an overseas marriage?

If you get married outside of the U.S., you could have the ability to bring your spouse with you to the U.S. by securing an immigrant visa or a nonimmigrant visa. You will have to complete Form I-130 and, in the case of a K-3 nonimmigrant visa, secure a visa in the country where the marriage occurred.

if you are in this position, make sure you carefully approach the process of getting married and obtaining a visa.

Related Posts